Nature

Sign in to follow this  
Chase

Free vs Paid forum software

My first preference for forum software in past was free. The reason being I lacked money. And it was kind of difficult in my situation for even getting the card. I'd say in such situation free and open source programs definitely fills the gap. 

But now a days I have moved on. I have grown a bit old and also I want to save the time and money. And then things are leaning towards the paid software for me. I want to save time on customization and the plugins or self edits. So I think for those who can afford, they should and must go with the paid software. 

Currently I don't have Money for buying plugins so I do my self all customization. This is also way how I learn programing and I hope one day it can bring me job in good IT Company.

I don't mind using free message boards because I don't use them as a business, but as a hobby. Even free forum software's generally appeal to my needs and if they don't that's where my scripting knowledge comes in order for me to create what the service doesn't offer. If I were to ever run a business through a message board service, then I would definitely consider a paid forum software, but I don't foresee myself ever having an online business, but just online hobbies that keep me busy throughout the day.

I think it all depends on what you like and what your budget is. For most, free software is perfectly fine especially when you have options like MyBB which is a great free software that has a nice collection of themes and plugins available to you. But if you have the funds for it, software like XenForo can be great too.

Sign in to follow this